Friday, June 20, 2008

Summer chores

I have a love/hate relationship with summer chores. On one hand it feels good to teach my kids to work, and sometimes they actually do a pretty good job. But really it is a lot more work for me. Tyler mopped the kitchen floor this morning, but first I had to do the dishes and get the water ready, then re-sweep the floor because he missed half the dirt. And he missed half the floor with the mop, so I ended up doing that too. Meanwhile Brennan kept trying to put stuff in the dirty water, so I had to try to keep him away. I guess if nothing else it will motivate me to clean nice and early. They have to do their chores and practice piano and do some school work before they can play the computer or watch videos, although sometimes I relax that video rule a little bit, especially for Dallin. And if Dallin is watching T.V., the other boys end up watching it too, even if it isn't something they like. But I feel like overall we are having productive mornings so we can play in the afternoon. Yesterday we went to a magic show at the library. Today we are going to the water park when Dave gets home. I need a nap just thinking about it.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Uchenna says they pounded yams, cut the grass with machetes (at school, too), fetched water and firewood, and hand-washed their clothes, and lots more--when they were 7 or 8! I used to feel proud of our childhood work ethic, but I guess I was a wussy, pampered kid. Our kids will hear the tropical equivalent of "I walked to school, in the snow, uphill, both ways."