Saturday, June 28, 2008

I am not mountain biking material

Last night we went out for Dave's birthday, which is on Monday (34 years old!) He decided he wanted to go bike riding then out to dinner. So we arranged to have a babysitter come nice and early so we'd have plenty of time.

I quickly figured out that this was no relaxing bike path. I had to walk my bike up the first hill, which was very long and steep. I figured down would be easier, right? Not so. It really didn't look that steep, but it was still hard to maintain a reasonably safe speed. It was also hard to stay on the very narrow path. Sure enough, I swerved off the path, hit a rock and fell off my bike, landing in a patch of some prickly plant. I was much more cautious after that, walking whenever I didn't feel safe.

At one point we parked our bikes and hiked up a hill for an amazing view. That was my favorite part.
Dave LOVED going fast. A little too much, in fact, because right after this happy picture he flipped over his handle bars. He sprained his wrist a little and got a few scrapes, but secretly I think he enjoyed it. He's crazy about things like that and calls it a "good hurt" in the morning because it means he did something fun.

Then we drove over to the bay for dinner. There was a little bit of a wait, so we walked around the dock taking pictures. That's always fun for me.

This is one of my favorite places on earth. It wasn't even cold last night.

And since it was just the two of us, we didn't have to stress about the kids getting too close to the edge and falling in, like the people who took this picture of us were doing.

Then we watched the sunset from the huge restaurant windows. It turned out to be a lovely evening, and I'm not even that sore today.

No comments: