Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Plan B

Yesterday we decided to go to the water park after school. It was a beautiful warm day, and I figured it wouldn't be too crowded since school isn't out yet. So we all got swimming suits on and lathered up with sunscreen. But when we got there the place was empty - closed, in fact. Turns out they have limited hours 'till summer. Slightly disappointed, I suggested we go across the street to one of our favorite parks and wade in the man-made pond. The boys loved the idea.
We had just woken Brennan up from his nap. Subdued, he mostly just watched from his stroller. This made my life much easier.

The pond has a fun little bridge and waterfall with lots of huge rocks to climb on. I worried the whole time that someone would slip and get hurt, which is why we haven't done this before. My excuse has always been that we weren't prepared with swimming suits and towels. But this time we were prepared, and they just had a blast.
Even Dallin went right in. I'm telling you, he used to want nothing to do with water, except for baths. At one point, as he was walking up the waterfall, I overheard him say to himself, "I'm one of the big boys. I can do this too!"
Spencer spent the whole time trying to catch fish with his bare hands. The pond is stocked with a ton of huge, really slow goldfish. He even recruited a couple of hispanic boys there to help him trap the fish. He kept almost catching them before they'd slip out of his arms. Finally, he figured out he could hold onto them easier if he stuck his finger in their mouths. Sure enough, he caught one, held it for a little while, then put it back in. That's when I figured we could go home. Afterwards he thanked me profusely for taking them there.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Dang, you guys have so much fun! From big camping expeditions to afternoons at a very cool pond (with fish, even!), what a way to be.