Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tofu tip

I made a lovely tofu stir-fry for dinner tonight, and Dave made his yummy egg drop soup. For those of you out there who turn your noses up at tofu, hear me out. Since Dave started working for his current employer, we have greatly reduced the amount of meat we consume. His doctor is very big into preventative medicine, especially vascular health. He teaches his patients that meat should be eaten very sparingly (hmm, where have we heard that before??), not only because of the cholesterol, but also because of the animal protein, which isn't healthy in high amounts. I think it's wonderful! I like meat and all, but not all the time. And Dave used to think dinner wasn't dinner unless it contained meat. But he has totally changed his perspective. As a family, we eat a ton more fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains, and we are always looking for good meatless meals. And this is my favorite way to eat tofu: first, get the firm kind. Then cut it into strips, coat it with corn starch, and fry it in oil until crispy. Don't add it to the stir fry or else the sauce makes it soggy. Just drain on paper towels and put on the side or on top of each serving. My kids absolutely love it. Seriously.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Thanks for the tip - I just bought tofu to supplement our chicken fajitas. Once I got it home, I wasn't quite sure what to do with it though. I'll let you know how everyone likes it - or if they even notice it's tofu!

Jen said...

I haven't branched out as far as tofu yet, but I like to make a coconut-curry chicken with just a little bit of chicken and a lot of cauliflower. Sometimes when it's all cooked you can't really tell the difference between the two. Weird, huh? Also, Uchenna has a egg stew that I love.

As a plug from another angle for less meat, grains are a much more economically efficient use of land--more usable nutrition per acre, which is really helpful to struggling world economies.