Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Spencer!

Spencer helps paint his ocean wall.
...
I moved that heavy bunk bed all by myself! I didn't want to wait until Dave got home.
...
Doesn't the shark's jaw look awesome up against the blue wall??



Spencer turns 8 years old today! Wow. Time for him to start being accountable and everything.
.
Ever since his ocean unit in Kindergarden 2 years ago, Spencer has wanted an ocean room. But since I am so slow to do decorating - not that I don't want to do it but because I'm indecisive about how to do it - it hasn't happened. Plus I wanted to make sure it wasn't just a passing phase. Well his love of the ocean has only intensified. Now he wants to be a marine biology photographer when he grows up. Last year when he got $20 for his birthday, he spent it on a real shark's jaw. When he got a couple dollars from the tooth fairy, he bought a prehistoric shark tooth (just trading one tooth for another much cooler one). When we go to the aquarium he is like our own personal tour guide, telling us all the facts and impressing all the elderly volunteers.
.
So for his birthday, I am giving him an ocean room. When he came home from school yesterday, he was SO excited to find me painting his room and said it was his best birthday present ever. Tonight we are going out for seafood, his favorite. Actually all my kids love fish, which is weird to me because I didn't learn to like fish until after I was married. I made cupcakes for his class, and I'll make a cake for tonight, and then we're getting together with the family this weekend for a big family party - it's also my nephew's birthday. This is birthday season. And we still have half a cheesecake we need to eat.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Yes, the blue does make the shark jaw just pop right out at you.