Thursday, May 8, 2008

The DMV

One of the most pleasant surprises we had when we moved here was the friendliness of the DMV, of all places. Growing up in Maryland, I had learned to dread and avoid the DMV at all costs. Lines were always long, workers were beyond rude, and nothing was ever accomplished in just one visit. In contrast the people who work at the DMV around here are nice, happy, and laid back. We've had to go there several times in two different towns, and each time we leave amazed at how pleasant the experience was. In preparation to sell our Saturn today, we located our title - still from WV (we never got it transferred), along with our current registration. But we were concerned when we saw that the registration card says "Not transferrable - No title provided" written on it. So I called the 1-800 number for the DMV (on the white board of things I need to do today but didn't want to), and the guy said I had to apply for a new title, which could take several weeks, before I could sell it. So I woke up Brennan from his nap and braced myself to figure it out at the DMV. The line was short and moved quickly. The man told me I did NOT have to get a new title. He gave me a bill of sale form and said that's all I would need, along with the old title, to sell the car. I was in and out of there in 15 minutes and it turns out we can still sell the car today. I just like nice people. They make life so much more pleasant.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Hilary, that's so funny because I just recently had to renew my license. I had had SUCH a good experience with the DMV down there that I beleived it would be the same here. I even took my kids thinking it would be a fun experience. I was wrong. You're right - Paso DMV people are just nice.