Saturday, May 24, 2008

Spencer's Baptism

Dave performed his first baptism.


Today was Spencer's baptism, and it was wonderful day. This morning we gave him his own set of scriptures with his name engraved, which he was really excited about. Mom came up (dad and grandpa are both sick). I gave the talk on baptism and mom gave the talk on the Holy Ghost. Spencer said he couldn't stop smiling afterwards, and he told Dave he felt free. I sang a duet with a friend, which was an interesting story. A few days ago Dave asked me if we were going to do a special musical number, but I didn't want to sing alone and couldn't decide who to ask or what to sing. Then last night when we were on our date, my friend called to see what time the baptism was. We sang together in a quartet Easter Sunday, so I knew she had a beautiful soprano voice. I'm an alto. So I asked her if she would sing a duet with me today. She said she'd be happy to, so we talked about it and decided to sing Baptism ("Jesus came to John the Baptist,...") I always loved that song, and it turns out it has a pretty harmony. I practiced last night and this morning, we ran through it a couple times before the baptism, and it came together nicely. There was a good turn-out, and it felt good to see our friends and family there to support Spencer. Afterwards we ate cookies and visited in the cultural hall. I made a batch of chocolate chip and a batch of snickerdoodles, and one man told me they were the best chocolate chip cookies he's had, and he is not a young man. Then we (our family and Kristen's family) went to see the new Narnia movie, Prince Caspian, in the theater. It was also a very good movie, and the kids did great. Even Brennan sat still for the first hour and forty-five minutes. After that he got pretty antsy. We picked up pizza on the way home. We're all going to bed early tonight. Spiritual experiences are always exhausting.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hey, congratulations to Spencer! That's a big milestone alright.