Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas newsletter

Well we survived another family photo session. No wonder we don't do this more than every other year. Of course there was the stress of getting everyone ready (we had just gotten back from the beach, so that added to the craziness). And when we started out Levi was screaming, so we had to take a break so I could feed him. Then Dallin kept putting his hands in the air (he likes action shots), and Brennan kept looking away. It's hard to smile and look genuinely happy when you are busy yelling at your kids to look at the camera and smile. Out of 400 shots we ended up with about 2 family pictures that worked. Here's the runner up, which didn't make the Christmas card cut because Dallin wasn't smiling. But I love the background because it shows where we live. We don't drink wine, but I think the rolling vineyards around here are just gorgeous. A huge thank-you to Aaron Sessions for doing such a great job with the pictures! You were very patient.

Now on to our "newsletter." This year was an eventful one as we welcomed our 5th boy, Levi Parker, into our family on October 2nd. He was 20" long and weighed 8 lb 12 oz (our heaviest baby yet, born one week early). He looks a lot like his brothers, especially Dallin, and we all love him to pieces.

Brennan is turning out to be much more strong-willed at 3 than he was at 2. I'm thinking the adjustment to having a little brother may have something to do with that, although he does adore Levi. The great thing about Brennan this year is that he has already grown out of most of his food allergies - he can now eat wheat as well as milk and eggs, if they are cooked. He's even had pizza and birthday cake! What a huge blessing. He enjoys dressing up and being a "bad guy!"
Dallin (5) loved preschool; now he is loving Kindergarten, as we knew he would. He cracks me up with the funny things he says (most recently, he asked me if I do laundry every day. I said no, more like every other day. He responded, "So you do an AB pattern of doing laundry?" I love getting a glipse into his mind. He decided to start learning the piano just so he can play on the computer, and he still plans on being a chef when he grows up.
Tyler (7) is still one of the sweetest kids ever. The other boys don't always get along with each other, but everyone plays great with Tyler all the time. He loves math and reading, and he has started reading chapter books. He once told me, "When I'm reading, it's like I'm there!" He is doing well on the piano, has started boogie boarding, enjoys the performing arts club and has a lot of fun writing stories and doing elaborate set-ups.
Spencer (9) seems significantly older than the other kids all of a sudden. He stays up late reading every night, knows his way around the computer better than some adults I know, and has started playing roller hockey. He still enjoys the piano, performing arts club and cub scouts. His absolute favorite thing he's done this year is snorkling in San Diego.

Dave continues to split his time between pulmonology and family practice, which is working out great. I especially like that he is working closer to home, and we are even able to go on weekly lunch dates (in addition to our weekly Friday night dates - what can I say, I like to go out). He plays racquetball with my brother-in-law Nathan every morning at 5:30, takes the boys on dates and camping trips, and serves on the stake high council over the youth and seminary. I'm so grateful for all he does, and I love that he supports me in wanting lots of kids. We're busy, but we sure have fun raising these boys together.

We didn't do much for the first few months of the year, since I felt lousy with morning sickness. In June we went to Utah for a family reunion at Aspen Grove. On the way we stopped at the Grand Canyon, Zion Canyon and Bryce Canyon. I've always wanted to go to those places, and it was all so beautiful. In July we went to Sea World in San Diego. Then of course Levi was born in October, so that's pretty much kept us busy since then. I spend my free time photoshopping pictures and blogging, so drop by here anytime to see what we've been up to. Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I love that you're all wearing browns and reds--classic autumn. And you're right, those vineyards are a beautiful backdrop.