Sunday, January 25, 2009

Date night

For date night Friday we went down to see grandpa, who had just gotten out of the hospital. First we ate at our favorite crepe restaurant and did a little shopping at Costco. Then we went to visit with my mom, my uncle Michael and grandpa. He did NOT like being in the hospital and got almost no sleep. He kept saying "So there I was for 48 hours, with that thing (I.V.) in my arm." Poor grandpa. I told him it's amazing he's been in the hospital as little as he has. He really is very healthy for 87. Then we headed over to Borders to spend a couple of Christmas gift certificates, although we ended up not buying anything because we were getting too tired to make a decision. I guess we'll have to go there earlier in the evening next time.
.
So I have to take some time to stress the importance of weekly dates. I have talked to several friends recently who admit they haven't been on a date with their husband in months. Gasp. When Dave was called to be on the high council recently, one of the things he was instructed to do was weekly dates with his wife! I thought that was so cool. It's not just a luxury - it's essential. I find myself looking forward to it all week, and I'm almost giddy with excitement Friday. We have been going much more regularly since my nephews moved here. Kristen tells Christopher and Jonathan to keep their Friday nights open, and they use one while we use the other. Of course we pay them, but it just helps to have it put into the schedule. Our problem before was waiting too long in the week to decide what to do for our date, and by then it was almost impossible to find a babysitter. So I encourage all you married couples out there to make weekly dates a priority. Just put it into the schedule, and it will be more likely to happen. Then lose the guilt - it's important for your relationship no matter how long you've been married, and it will make you a better parent, no matter how old your kids are.

1 comment:

Mrs Abbott said...

sounds good! We are going to the temple of Friday, if I feel better! and then staying overnight for Valentines day. I guess we should do something in between those two dates also.