Saturday, October 3, 2009

Levi Parker

Levi was born Friday, October 2nd, at 4:02 in the afternoon. We arrived at the hospital at 8:00 that morning, and the nurse started the Pitocin a little after 9:00. The doctor broke my water at 1:00, and I got the epidural around 2:45. He started out sunny side up, which was making it take longer to progress. So the doctor had me bounce on an exercise ball to help him turn around. Apparently that worked, and things moved along much quicker after that. I would have asked for the epidural sooner, since the contractions were very painful and close together by then, but I really wanted him to turn around and I couldn't do the ball thing with numb legs. The epidural didn't work completely, since some of the contractions were still pretty uncomfortable, but they were much more manageable. The doctor came in when I was 10 cm, saw that I was starting a contraction, and told me to push. One push, and the head was out. There was still time left in the contraction, so she had me push again and his body followed.

My first reaction: he's huge!! His cheeks, arms and legs were so plump. This really surpised me, since I didn't really feel that big; he was even induced a week early. I was guessing he'd be around 7-7 1/2 lbs. But at 8 pounds 12 ounces, he's our biggest baby. It's a good thing he didn't go 9 days late, like some other babies I know. At first we thought he had my mouth, like Tyler. But once the swelling went down, we realized it's actually a Dave-size mouth, like the other 3 boys.

Dave and I had a great day together, playing Phase 10 before things got exciting, supporting me on the ball so I wouldn't roll off, and breathing through the rough times. I love you sweetheart!!

My amazing doctor. I'm so happy she was willing to induce me. Plus I really like that whole ball idea. She kept telling me, "You make this look too easy!"

One of the few pictures I have of Levi with his eyes open. It's just so bright out here.

Mid-yawn
He's got some long, narrow feet! He looks like a mix between Spencer and Dallin, with lots of dark red hair.

One of my favorite things to do after I have a baby is take pictures of them on my hospital bed. I always pack a book to read, but I never get around to reading. Babies are way more entertaining.
Dave burping Levi after a feeding. We enjoyed watching conference together in my hospital room this morning, and then we came home after our "special meal" of filet mignon and sparkling cider from the hospital. Levi is our 2nd conference baby - Tyler was born April 6th and I remember watching conference that day too.

7 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

Congratulations! What a big, cute baby boy! Big babies are always sleep and eat better, or so I've heard!

Laura Hennessee said...

So super cute! Glad to hear he's healthy and you all are doing well!

Mandy said...

He is so cute - love the name! You do make this all look too easy Hilary:) Dr. Yin delivered Madeline - I love her! Congratulations!

Janine Weston said...

Hilary! Wow! Can't believe how beautiful your family is! You must feel so proud...So glad everything went smoothly for you--congrats!

Boo said...

He's an ounce bigger than Rachel was, and he's got the chubby cheeks, too. I bet in a couple of years people are going to think Brennan and Levi are twins. I can't believe you're home already. I'm so jealous! By the way, you look great.

Double D said...

Congratulations! He is so cute! I am so happy for you. Can't wait to meet this little guy!

Aaron Smith said...

He is so so beautiful! You look amazing. Welcome Little Levi, you are too cute!

Sarah and Family