Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Canyon Hopping Day 2: Zion Canyon

I loved just driving through Zion National Park, with amazing views all along the way. I took some pictures out the car window, but they don't do it justice.
The shuttle picked us up in front of our hotel and took us to the visitor's center, and then we took another shuttle up the canyon.

Dallin liked sitting in the front seat of the rear bus and pretending he was the one driving. As we got off people thanked him for getting us there safely. Today as we were driving around he said, "I can't wait until I'm big. Then I get to be the one controlling all the car windows."

Our first hike was to Emerald Pools. We enjoyed lots of shade and pretty views all along the way.
There was some excitement when we watched a helicopter hover into the canyon with a rope extended down between the rocks.

Before long they went back up, carrying 2 people at the end of the rope. It looked like one person had his leg in a brace. We were amazed at how quickly it all happened. We got the idea this wasn't an uncommon event.
At the end of the hike was a waterfall and several green pools.

I was pretty tired at this point, so I rested on this rock while Dave took the boys up to the 2nd pool of the hike (there were 3 altogether). As I sat watching other hikers, I wanted to warn them of the slick rock in front of me upon which they were all falling. But they were speaking various non-English languages and wouldn't have understood me anyway. They were also wearing flimsy sandals and looking cranky and smelling of B.O. Silly Europeans.

After a picnic lunch we did a 2 mile round trip hike along the river. The huge walls of canyon provided nice shade, since it was starting to warm up by this point.
At the end everyone (except me), took off socks and shoes and played in the water. The boys did stick races down the river.

I was supposed to be sitting and resting my legs, but I couldn't resist taking pictures of the cuteness.

Doesn't that sky look fake? I swear I didn't even adjust the cyan on Photoshop. But I did have to bump up the red saturation because the pictures just don't show how red all the rocks really are.

No, it wasn't raining - yet. Next we hiked to Weeping Rock, which is a rock that constantly has water dripping out of it like rain.

It's a good think I had the umbrella to keep my camera dry as I took pictures.

The really interesting thing is that the water coming out of the rock has taken 1,200 years to filter through. I wonder how they figure these things out. And you would think it's the cleanest water on earth, but there were signs not to drink it because it has Giardia. After this we took the shuttles back to the hotel as it started to rain. Wasn't it nice of the weather to cooperate for us 2 days in a row?

No comments: