Saturday, August 1, 2009

Sea World

We love Sea World. We went a couple years ago and enjoyed it so much we just had to go back. It's the perfect combination of amusement park/aquarium/zoo. We were a little worried about me walking all over while pregnant, so we rented a wheel chair. It was wonderful! My feet and legs weren't the slightest bit tired after 12 hours in the park. I think we should do that every time.
Brennan and I hung out while everyone else went on a couple rides. He especially liked the beluga whales. As we left he said, "Bye beluga! Have a nice day!" I love their little smiles. They really looked like they were having fun out there.

But my absolute favorite thing at Sea World is Shamu. There is just something amazing about watching a humungous animal do flips out of the water. It gives me goosebumps every time.

I'm always amazed at how much Spencer knows about the ocean. He was naming all the different kinds of sharks we saw before the worker announced them. He was right every time.
They had a new 4D movie this time - Sesame Street. I liked it much better than the freaky ghost one they had before, and of course Brennan loved it.

Here are the bottlenose dolphins doing their synchronized jumps. This show was cute but too short. I wanted to see more tricks.

Sea World has the best sting ray exhibit. At other zoos and aquariums we've been to, they are really hard to reach, and they don't come close enough. But here they are super friendly and easy to reach.
Of course the boys still managed to get soaked.

We got through most of the park on Monday. Then we did a day at the beach on Tuesday, finishing with another day at Sea World on Wednesday. We had each of the boys choose their favorite thing, and we repeated them the 2nd day.
They went on this ride three times in a row because there was no line. I guess everyone was watching Shamu at the time, and it wasn't too hot yet. We came prepared with ponchos this time.
The sky ride is fun. It goes out over the bay.
I love all the beautiful views of the bay and marina.
Oops - we weren't supposed to take the animals out of the water at the tide pools.

Spencer holding a sea cucumber. Those sure feel funky - very soft and squishy.

Dave's favorite show was the sea lions - really funny.

After this we drove home. We had seen everything at least once and were starting to get pretty tired. We had a six-hour drive ahead of us, and we didn't want to get home too late. Plus we wanted to get ahead of rush hour traffic through L.A. I could have stayed in San Diego another couple of days - I love it there so much, but Dave had to get back to work. We need to save up those vacation days for when the baby's born.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to make it there the next time we are in CA. My boys would LOVE it. Glad you had fun!!