Sunday, December 7, 2008

Whirlwind Weekend

Where did the weekend go? Well let's see, Friday night Dave & I went to the pulmonology office christmas party. I didn't know a single person there, which is difficult for an introvert like myself. They seem like a super nice group of people though. There was drinking, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some other office Christmas parties we've attended. The best part of the evening was the food! It was a catered buffet, and everything was amazing. We snuck out early because we were pretty tired. Saturday Dave helped with a move, which took longer than expected (don't they all?) While he was gone I asked the boys what they wanted to get Dave for Christmas, they thought of something, and then I considered taking them all shopping to buy it. Then I had a better idea of finding it online and buying it with a click of the mouse. Whoever invented Amazon must have little kids. Then I tried to think of a chore for the boys to do, and I decided we should clean the carpets. They love to spot clean because it's so fun to spray the foam soap. Then I used the carpet steamer and cleaned the entire house! I can't tell you how many containers of filthy water I dumped out, and the carpets look tons better.Then Dave bought new lights and put them up outside. We have done white icicle lights forever, but this year we decided to switch to colored LED lights, which are all the rage and use much less electricity. He had just enough daylight to put them up before heading off to the church Christmas party, which was a lot of fun. After a wonderful ham dinner we enjoyed visiting with the adults while the kids did crafts, performed skits, then sang songs.
Then there was a feeding frenzy at the dessert table, which was diverted by the arrival of Santa. Brennan freaked out when Spencer just started carrying him up the steps to see him, and he ran away screaming and crying. I suspected his reaction would be such. We stayed to clean up afterward and as a result got to take home one of the spiral hams (easy Sunday dinner!) This morning I took pictures of the boys for our Christmas cards, and they turned out really cute. I taught Dallin's Sunbeam class, which I was fine with until I finished the lesson and still had 40 minutes left! After playing games (follow the leader and hide and seek), we went on a walk around the church. Then we were down to 15 minutes. So I got out our Book of Mormon reader and told the story of Samuel the Lamanite prophesying the signs of Christ's birth, death and resurrection. All 4 pairs of little eyes were on me and the room was silent as they listened intently. I felt the spirit so strong as I spoke, and I was amazed as how still they became. Before we knew it, it was time to go. Tonight we enjoyed the first presidency Christmas devotional online, which was great as usual. I always feel like the spirit of the Christmas season begins with that devotional. This week I want to get Christmas cards out, make my truffles and send Christmas packages. Wish me luck.

No comments: