Thursday, December 11, 2008

Random Updates

Brennan enjoying the bittersweet Belgian chocolate from Trader Joes

1. Dave & I went to the PA/NP dinner meeting on Tuesday. The restaurant where they held it this month has a reputation for being really nice, but we weren't too impressed with the food. The rolls, however, were fabulous. I always like going to those meetings because it feels good to stimulate my brain. The topic was diabetes; I hope everyone is exercising out there!

2. Tyler made pancakes for breakfast this morning while I was at Curves. Dave said he coached him a little, but otherwise Tyler did it all by himself. They turned out fluffy and perfect.

3. Kristen and I took our 3 little ones down to mom's house yesterday to help her wrap presents. We had a fun time visiting and seeing what everyone was getting for Christmas.

4. I made the truffles last night; the middles were super easy, but I had a heck of a time trying to dip them. The chocolate kept getting too thick and melting the middle, and when I tried remelting the chocolate it only got harder. I gave up and wonder if I need to buy a different kind of dipping chocolate.

5. I got my Christmas cards yesterday and starting addressing them last night after I gave up on the truffles, but all my addresses in my electronic address book somehow got erased! I have no idea how it happened, but I think maybe the battery was low. I just turned the thing on and it said "erased" and then they were all gone. I know, I should have had a back-up, but I've had the thing for 7 years and never had a problem before.

6. Christmas is in 2 weeks!

1 comment:

Missa said...

Your chocolate probably seized. It got too hot. Next time try tempering the chocolate. I'm pretty sure Martha has instructions for that. It can be tricky, but does make good dipping chocolate. If your chocolate seizes, you can get it to come back by adding 1 Tbsp oil for every pound of chocolate. Add the oil, heat it a little and stir. You can add more oil as needed. The end product will be softer than without the oil, but will still be usable. Truffles are so delicious, but often a pain. Good luck next time!

PS I have a recipe that makes okay centers using chocolate chips. They are a little more stable than the traditional centers. Let me know if you want the recipe.