Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Cookies

I baked Christmas cookies all day yesterday, which is just so fun for me.

We started out with my family's favorite fudge recipe. Seriously, it's the best. And the kids love to help because it involves such yummy ingredients - chocolate bars, chocolate chips, and marshmallow cream.It's a messy job, but someone's gotta do it.
Check out that Dallin with one hand in each jar of marshmallow cream! Now that's a bowl to lick.
Then of course there's Ethel's sugar cookies. I don't know Ethel, but she sure knows how to make cookies. Which brings me to my poll (I haven't been able to think of any good ones in a long time, but this is one I really want to know!) Dave and I have opposing dessert preferences. He likes nuts in his chocolate; I like mine plain. He likes ice cream; I like cake. He likes his cookies hard and crunchy; I like them soft and chewy. So when it comes to sugar cookies, he wants his slightly over baked with sprinkles, which makes them quite crunchy. But of course I like to ice them with sprinkles on top of the icing, which softens them nicely. So we compromise and do half of each. But I am curious how the rest of you feel about your cookies, so make sure you answer the poll to the right.The kids like them both ways. They're not picky.I finished up by late afternoon and made up a bunch of plates. Then we headed out to drop them off to all our home and visiting teaching families. Amazingly everyone was home.

The kids had a blast delivering the cookies. We even did a little caroling and visiting. It got dark while we were out, and we enjoyed all the Christmas lights. One of the families lives downtown, and last night was the big Vine Street event, in which all the old Victorian houses are lit up, the streets are closed, and there's various things going on. We went a few years ago and didn't get what the big deal was, but it's quite popular around here. Anyway, we had to detour all the way around to get to the other side, but it was fun to see the lights from the warmth of our van.

1 comment:

Jen said...

That looks like a lot of fun--although I'm sure it had to be pretty crazy, too.

By the way, can I get the recipe for your Sausage-Eggplant casserole?