Friday, April 18, 2008

Birthday, cont.

Yesterday I made pizza for dinner. Then I got real adventurous and made a pizza for Brennan too. I found the recipe for the crust in my Gluten-Free Gourmet book by Bette Hagman. It's a GREAT book, recommended to me by my pediatric dietician. The crust was super quick and easy, using my gluten-free flour mix - rice flour, potato starch and tapioca flour. Then I used a very thin layer of pizza sauce (sometimes tomatoes give him a rash - not an allergy, just a dermatitis from the acidity), and topped it with slices of soy mozzerella cheese. He loved it! I like to give him the same thing we're eating as much as possible so he doesn't feel left out. A couple weeks ago I made snickerdoodles and all the kids (mine plus Kristen's little ones) were standing around me with their hands up like little baby birds wanting a cookie. Brennan came up with his hands up and that same wishful look in his eyes. It just about broke my heart. I ran to the freezer and quickly defrosted him a couple of his cookies. I need to remember to do that before I start handing out cookies next time, because he wasn't very patient about it.

After dinner we went to Kristen's house for cake. She also gave me flowers. The cake was SO yummy - her delicious homemade chocolate cake topped with chocolate frosting then homemade whipped cream and finally cherry pie filling. I love the combination of chocolate and fruit. Mmmm! Is this turning into a food blog? If I had my camera with me I would have taken a picture of it because it was also beautiful. Anyway, I just love having a sister living right up the street from me. What a great birthday!

No comments: