Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Brennan's Snack Options


One of the hardest things about Brennan's food allergies is trying to find quick food for him - snacks and things to pack when we go out. He can eat raisins and grapes, but he gets tired of them. Plus he already has a problem with loose poops, and I don't want to make it worse. But I'm so excited because recently I found some good snacks for him:


1. Homemade no-bake granola bars. I found the recipe for this at: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=257284 a couple years ago. My kids all love them, and they are quick and easy to make. I remembered them recently and realized that I only have to make one substitute for him: sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter. Plus I usually just use raisins or craisins and no chocolate chips - too messy for him.
...
2. Nana Banana cookie bars, from the health food store. Most of the allergy-free snack bars I've bought in the past are expensive ($6 for a box of 5) and taste strange. These ones are very soft & yummy - he loves them! And they are only $3 for a box of 5 individually-wrapped cookies.
...
3. Sesame crackers from Food 4 Less, of all places. I'm always so happy when I find regular food that just doesn't happen to contain wheat or dairy or nuts or eggs. It's when they purposely try to substitute that things start to taste strange and the price gets outrageous. So I found these crackers in the regular snack isle today, and when I got home, I noticed they don't have any wheat in them! They taste super-healthy, so I don't know how much he'll eat them (I gave him one and he ate it), but at least it's a cracker option that only costs $2/box. That's unheard of at the health food store.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Funny how snacking is actually essential, but it is. Did you ever see "Supersize Me" about the guy who only eats from McDonalds for some certain length of time. His girlfriend was a vegan chef and definitely not on board with his project. So if she's a vegan chef, does that mean there are vegan restaurants? Or just that she has to be a chef because it's so difficult to find enough vegan food?