Thursday, January 15, 2009

Surprise!

I gave my sister Kristen a surprise baby shower/brunch today. She had no idea I was planning it, which is pretty amazing considering all my kids knew about it.

There was a good turnout - 10 ladies came. Joddy made the quiches - yum! All the food was diabetes-friendly for Kristen (she has gestational diabetes with this baby). I also served little sandwiches, sausages, fruit and nuts. I even found sugar-free candy bars and chocolate-covered almonds, which were actually quite good.It started around 10:00, after everyone dropped off their kindergarteners. We had 12 babies and preschoolers here, and they all had fun playing together - even little Eli and Tobin. And we're having some kind of heat wave (it's been in the 70's all week), so the older ones ate and played outside the whole time.

Michelle is due in a couple weeks also - with baby #10! Our other friend Kristen is due around the same time, but she called me last night to say she was in labor. Then she dropped off a gift for the shower on her way to the hospital, apologizing there wasn't a card! We just ate, visited and opened gifts (no games because I don't like them), and had so much fun we decided we need to get together for brunch more often. We're thinking about starting a day-time book club as an excuse.

4 comments:

Carol said...

Wow, what number baby is this for Kristen? Unless I'm confusing Kristen with another one of your sisters, I remember when she had her first baby boy back in Frederick--he was such a cute chunk of a baby!

Congrats to her! (And that's so funny about the friend on her way to the hospital...and the one on #10, wow!)

Hilary said...

This is Kristen's 8th boy, and yes, she was the one with the big baby in Frederick - he's now 14 1/2and slimmed down quite a bit.

Boo said...

Looks like a fun shower, Hilary. You are a great sister.

Nancy said...

I finally found your blog, Hilary! I take credit for the profile shots (my suggestion). They are my favorite kind of pregnancy shots, especially when the husband gets next to the wife to show off his belly weight gain in comparison.