Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Allergy-free double chocolate muffins

Dallin and I made chocolate muffins yesterday morning, and Brennan was feeling totally left out. So while the muffins were in the oven I looked up a recipe for allergy-free muffins in my Sophie-Safe Cookbook and made a few changes. A couple days ago when I was at the health food store, I found coconut flour - how cool is that? So I substituted some of the oat flour with it. The results were delicious, and although I still preferred the regular chocolate muffins, I've had requests for this recipe. So here it is:

1 1/2 cups oat flour (grind oats in blender)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
1 egg, egg substitute, or 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup soy milk
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients in one bowl and liquid ingredients in another, then add all together and mix just until moist. Add chocolate chips. Fill lined muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from pan; they're a little crumbly.

1 comment:

Boo said...

So, how does 1 teaspoon of the vinegar replace an egg? Should it be 1 Tablespoon? I'm also curious as to how it affects the taste.

BTW, i never thought of putting oats in the blender to get flour. What a great idea!