Friday, January 2, 2009

New Years Day at the Bay

After we all recovered from our late night, we decided to head over to the bay and kayak out to the sand spit. We rented the Man of War, which is a 15 passenger canoe. We put 3 adults and 12 kids from Alec and Braden down in it. What a sight! Then we borrowed 4 kayaks from our friends and the rental place even threw in 2 more kayaks for free. It was quite the expedition. Mom and Kristen stayed on the embarcadero with Brennan and Anna.Then we explored the sand spit, searched for shells, and kayaked all around.This was my first time out there (they made a similar expedition with the same group a couple years ago, but I didn't go that time). I was surprised by how huge and hilly the sand spit was. It would be perfect for capture the flag. Ellen was my kayak buddy on the way out. I actually don't remember if I've ever kayaked before, but it was a lot of fun. We made a great team, but we got some wet bums. I was good at remembering a change of clothes for the boys, but not me. Brrr.Of course Spencer searched for shells and even found a sea cucumber.Then the big guys took turns giving all the kids rides on the kayaks. They LOVED it.
I wanted to take more pictures (I didn't even get any of the Smalleys), but my batteries died. Our kids were cold, wet and tired by the time we got back to the embarcadero, but once they changed clothes and warmed up in the van, they were much happier. So we went to Hofbrau for our favorite dinner of clam chowder, french dip sandwiches, and fish and chips. I love it when family visits. It makes us do more adventurous things like this.