Tuesday, January 27, 2009

2 new things

I did 2 things for the first time on Saturday. First I drove a truck. After 3 years of wanting to put wood chips under the playset, we finally did it; we decided it would be a good day because the ground was soft from the rain. Dave recruited the cousins to come help dig (their favorite thing in the world), while I borrowed Nathan's truck to pick up the wood chips from a local nursery.

Alec & Braden were hard workers! They kept working long after all the other kids got tired and went in to watch a movie.It doesn't look that deep, but they dug down about 4", put weed barrier down, then covered it with 2 cubic yards of wood chips. It feels so good to finally have that project done.

My other first was making egg rolls, which is something I've always wanted to do. I just followed the recipe on the wrapper package, and they were super easy and yummy. First I cooked the pork, then I added shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, and green onions. It called for oyster sauce, which we didn't have, so I used Teriyaki sauce instead. Then I wrapped them up and fried them in oil. And we had the perfect tray to put them on, thanks to Emily. Next I want to try making dumplings.

1 comment:

Missa said...

Let me highly recommend oyster sauce. I don't know if you've had it before, but it is like a strong soy sauce and not at all fishy tasting. We enjoy it in beef and broccoli. Kudos on the fabulous egg rolls. They are one of my favorite foods, but I've never made them.