Monday, October 20, 2008

Strawberry Freezer Jam

Someone from church was handing out flats of strawberries for free because they were leftover from the food bank and would have gone bad if not eaten immediately. So we enjoyed sweet delicious strawberries all weekend, including strawberry shortcake for dessert last night. Then I made strawberry freezer jam with all but the last pound. I don't know if you've ever made it before, but it is SOOO easy and SOOOO yummy. It took me less than an hour last night to make one batch. It tastes fresher and much less sweet than regular jam. Here's the recipe:
.
4 cups of crushed strawberries (about 3 lbs)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 packet of Ball Freezer Jam Pectin (I get it at Wal-Mart in the canning section)
.
First rinse strawberries and remove stems. Then proceed to rinse three more times by putting them in a big bowl, covering with cold water and draining. Dry on paper towels. Mash them in a big bowl using a potato masher. Mix sugar with pectin, then add to strawberries. Mix for three minutes. Ladle into clean jars, leaving 1/2" space at the top; serve immedately, refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to a year. Label with the date. Makes five or six 8 ounce jars. Put on biscuits, toast, sandwiches or over ice cream. It is so good!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Hey Hilary! Thanks for the link to your dad's blog. It breaks my heart to hear what happened to the Greenalls. I miss you all so much though, on a happier note. Thanks for the update!!!!
Jen

Missa said...

I love that in California getting free flats of super delicious strawberries is a possibility. If only I could have taken them home. I can almost taste the jam--yum!

Mrs Abbott said...

Hilary,

I love how you make delicious food! Do you still have that recipe for pumpkin streusel muffins? I would love to make those this season!

Hilary said...

megan - here's the recipe for those muffins: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Apple-Streusel-Muffins/Detail.aspx