Saturday, March 28, 2009

Pinewood Derby

We had a successful first Pinewood Derby. Dave and Spencer worked on this car for several days, and the excitement was palpable. It turned out to be a very fast car. He lost a photo finish race with his cousin Alec, who ended up being undefeated. One car down - at least 11 more to go.
I have to mention something that really impresses me about my kids. Whenever they get any kind of treat at school or church, they always save some to share with the family. It's almost comical, like when Tyler gets a little Tootsie Roll from school and tries to split it 4 ways. All the cub scouts got a bag of 4 car-shaped chocolates after the race. Spencer offered me one, and I said, "Spencer, you did all that work. You should eat them." And he told me he already had 2 of them, which was plenty. Then yesterday his class had an Easter egg hunt and he came home with a bunch of candy-filled plastic eggs. He shared them equally with everyone, saving some for Brennan to eat after his nap. When I thanked him for sharing, he said, "I think about if I had an older brother coming home with candy; I would want him to share with me." What a sweetheart.

4 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

Spencer is such a sweetie! 11 cars left to do? I don't get it. 4 years in boy scouts x 4 boys- 16 cars left to do!!!

Hilary said...

there's only 3 years in cub scouts.

Mandy said...

Spencer melts me. Great work on the car and great work on raising four terrific boys!

Boo said...

Way to go, Spencer!

My kids are completely selfish. If they have to go potty during dinner, they tell me to protect their food from their siblings.