Monday, March 9, 2009

Finally!

Dave and I are overly-informed consumers. We just have to research a product to death before we can actually choose one. Our printer broke a few weeks ago, but we couldn't seem to replace it because we had to read all the reviews first to get the right one. We recently discovered a good product research site, but the thing about research is that you'll find problems with everything. I kept copying down model numbers I saw at the stores then looking them up online. People hated them all. The ones that did get good reviews cost several hundred dollars - more than we wanted to pay. Finally on Saturday we decided we just had to choose one - I needed to print out my lesson for Sunday and Dave has to print out his talk for next week. I mean seriously - this is not a major purchase. We just need it to print. Plus my scanner broke awhile ago, so I wanted an all-in-one. We ended up with a Canon MP480 for $80, which got decent reviews and had a good resolution scanner. It works great so far - printers have really come a long way since the last time we bought one. Mostly it just feels good to have the thing decided. I had no idea how much we print around here. Spencer scanned this picture to put in his ocean book. He painted it in 1st grade, and it's hanging up in his ocean bedroom.

5 comments:

Ben said...

Wow, printers have come a long way. That's an impressive scan, and a great picture too. I need to hook up with a good consumer. Sometimes I feel like all of my purchases are impulse buys that I regret as soon as I make. But then sometimes it's worse when I've researched because I'm plagued with wondering if it was the right thing or not. So shooting from the hip is best sometimes I guess.

Judy and Lloyd Abbott said...

my sister Sidney went to a card shop and after 45min and consulting with my mother decided on the right card. the clerk then said she had more and opened a cupboard with another 40 others to chose from. Sidney walked out of the store without buying any cards. she and I are a lot alike in trying to decide. --dad

Mrs Abbott said...

I love the scanned picture! I want to buy a scanner/printer/copier, but have been holding out on not knowing which one to get also. I think I may plunge a little of our tax return into getting an hp. Are hp's any good? See, I still want to get a good one! My fear is that I will buy a bad one and have to have that one for the rest of my life! I probably won't have to, but that is my fear.

Hilary said...

megan - you really can't say that all HP's are good or bad. there are just so many, with some of each. check out that cnet.com site - it's really very helpful.

Boo said...

My 2 cents: We've had bad luck with HP printers - they just stopped working in about a year. Our Canon we've had for over a year and is still going strong. Plus, after we bought it, we saw a review that said its pictures had the best quality (of the printers tested) in the long-term.