Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my mom's birthday! Here are some things you may not know about her :
1. She only likes chocolate with nuts in it.
2. Her favorite Easter candy is chocolate-covered marshmallow eggs (wait a minute - those don't have any nuts)
3. Her favorite birthday cake is coconut cake (the small square ones you buy frozen).
4. She loves Star Trek.
5. She's been with me for the birth of all my babies, and she is so good at calming me down.
6. She had 9 children and would have had more if she could.
7. She has "become the most patient of women."
8. She makes up statistics if she can't remember the exact #'s, and we all believe her because she says it like it's fact.
9. She loves funny cards.
10. She wouldn't go anywhere without being prepared with a book in her purse.
11. She makes her own soda.
12. She has taught me to be confident and stand up for myself.
13. She has been hard of hearing forever; sometimes I wonder how much of it is selective hearing, since she never seems to notice critical comments.
14. She used to try to talk me into staying home from school when she thought I was getting too stressed. She had no problem writing me a sick note.
15. She loves sparkley things.
16. Her most dreaded chore around the house is vacuuming, so she bought one of those automatic ones.
17. The way my dad gets her to the temple is by tempting her with fine dining and a nice hotel.
18. Her favorite getaway back East was Williamsburg. Her favorite getaway in CA is Morro Bay, and she spent 3 days there by herself for her 60th birthday.
19. She loves movies; she goes to the movies once a week (if there's a movie my dad doesn't want to see she just goes by herself), and rents 5 videos at a time from the video store.
20. She is the best mom I could imagine. Happy birthday mom! I love you!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilary, that was fun reading about your mom (or was it my mom?) They have such similar qualities and any time I picture the both of them I can see them laughing so hard they're crying :) I love your mom too!

Judy and Lloyd Abbott said...

Thank you so much! What a nice birthday surprise gift.
Love, Mom