Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cub scouts and funerals don't mix

Yesterday was cub scouts, and we were all a bit surprised to find the church parking lot almost full when we got there. Apparently an older lady from the other ward died recently, and they were right in the middle of her funeral. Quite the scheduling conflict. It was a beautiful day, so we thought about staying outside. But we had a guest coming (the police officer), and we figured it would be hard for the boys to pay attention with all the distractions of nature. So we decided to go in the primary room instead, which is a safe distance away from the chapel. Before we ventured into the church, we explained to the boys the need to walk quietly down the hall - no running, no yelling, and definitely no Sharks and Minnows (the game they usually play in the gym upon arrival that involves both running and yelling). The next thing I know, there are boys chasing a basketball down the hall! Right next to the open chapel door!!! I wanted to smack them, but that would have created more attention, I'm sure. It all worked out in the end - we corralled them into the primary room, where they were contained and fairly respectful to the policeman. They especially liked the taser demonstration and getting hand-cuffed. Then we went outside to check out the police car and eat the shamrock-shaped sugar cookies I made. Disaster narrowly averted. Stay tuned: next week is the Pinewood Derby!

3 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

my girls in activity days like to play sharks and minnows if we end early. I played once and fell in my boots and had a sore elbow for a long time afterwards. No more sharks and minnows for me!

Mandy said...

Your blog always makes me smile. I'm the counselor over Cubs in our ward and my life suddenly seems to revolve around pinewood derbies and rainboat regattas. Thank goodness we haven't run into any funerals though.

Double D said...

You are such a great leader! I can't wait for Ethan to be in your Den.