Tuesday, August 19, 2008

No Sick Days for Moms

I love being a stay-at-home mom. I love making my own schedule and not having to be anywhere (except for the occasional doctor's appointment, which I never schedule too early in the morning). I love that I can do what I want when I want, go somewhere if I feel like it, eat when I want, play with the kids whenever, read whenever, plan my day or not. This all sounds pretty good, except that I can't take sick days. Really, there are things that need to be done. Last night I went to bed feeling kinda nauseous, so I took some Maalox and figured the leftover Mexican Rice didn't agree with my stomach. But then I was up on and off all night until I finally threw up, which was good because then I felt better. Dave did what he could to help out this morning - he fed the kids breakfast and let me sleep in. But then I really had to get up when he left for work. Brennan, for one, is constantly into everything, and now he can open doors and the video/DVD drawers. Dallin spends his time making Tyler cry, so that has to be dealt with. I tried just sitting at the computer because moving made my tummy hurt, but dishes have to be done, diapers have to be changed, and children sometimes need to be physically separated from each other. You don't realize how much you really do until it hurts to do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like we had the same day. I didn't sleep well last night, acid reflux, and have just been a zombie all day. It always bugs me that when Aaron is sick, he gets to take the day off, sleep and get pampered by me. But when I am sick, he still goes to work. There's something wrong with that.