Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Valencia Peak

After we hiked Cerro Alto, we were feeling pretty good about ourselves. So when Spencer did another big hike with the scouts, we wanted to do it too. He warned us that it was long and steep, but we knew we could do it! 


Right away, Levi found a geocache. 

I didn't think it was as hard as Cerro Alto. It's slightly shorter and less steep. We climbed 1200 ft instead of 1600 ft. Plus it was nice and cool from the ocean breeze, which was perfect for hiking. It's at Montana de Oro, and the view was amazing the whole time. 

After an initial steep ascent, it flattens out for awhile. Then there's another big climb at the end.


I'd like to do this hike again after the drought ends. I've heard it's even prettier after it rains. 

No one got poison oak, so that's a huge plus.

We made it to the top! It was almost 2 miles up, and I think it took us about an hour and a half. Of course we hiked down a lot faster. 

Spencer hid a geogache on the side of the cliff when he went with the scouts. We thought it was a tad too hard/dangerous, so he moved it closer to the top.

I was so impressed with Brennan and Levi this time. They didn't complain, and Brennan even ran up several steep shortcuts with the big boys.




My camera battery died right after this, so I was very happy I got some good pictures.

No comments: