Saturday, March 17, 2012

Visitors!

Today was the Pinewood Derby. It's a good thing Tyler wanted to start making his car super early, because we've been pretty distracted the past few weeks. Dave went home early last night to help him finish it up.

Very cool design!




His cub master is so creative and fun, and they all had a great time.



I was feeling bad about not being able to be there this year, but then I remembered that I don't like those things. I get so nervous, and I hate to see the boys lose. But apparently there were lots more races this year with 4 cars racing at a time and a cool electronic finish line that showed each car's time, so there was less emphasis on winning/losing.




They came down to visit afterwards, and he showed me his awesome car.




There was a full house in the pediatric unit last night (it was so loud!), but then there were 3 discharges this morning, leaving just Chloe and another RSV baby. I'm always so jealous when I see someone go home. But it was nice and quiet after the patients left, and my sweet nurses let my whole family in to see us. There were lots of extra lunches, so the nurses gave them to the boys. They had already eaten lunch, but that didn't stop them from chowing down.

This was the first time they were able to hold Chloe in almost 2 weeks, or 2/3 or her life. They say she's changed a lot. She's doing better every day, and the respiratory therapists have started lowering her oxygen % and flow.


The nurses went nuts about how cute, polite and social the boys are. One thing I love about the staff here is that they genuinely like kids, which is why they work in pediatrics.


Levi was excited he got a knife to cut his peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Then he started playing with toys, running around and making a lot of noise, so they couldn't stay long.



We left Dave with Chloe for a couple hours and went bowling at Cal Poly, since it was raining and we couldn't go to the park.


It was really busy there (what else can you do in SLO when it's raining?), so they played arcades while we waited for a lane.


Everyone did great. Of course the bumpers really helped!


Brennan's bowls were a group effort.

That's a heavy ball for him!



Levi was a handful! I tried to let him "help" me bowl, but I ended up knocking him in the head by accident. He kept escaping, biting Brennan, and taking everything out of my purse. I guess he isn't quite old enough for bowling! But he liked putting his head on the ball return thingy to feel the air blowing out.

It was pouring down rain when we left, and we didn't park too close (you know how campus parking is!), so I left the boys there while I ran to get the car. I had an umbrella, but my pants got soaking wet. What an adventure! Dave and Chloe had a nice nap together the whole time we were gone.

3 comments:

Judy and Lloyd Abbott said...

Parenting has got to be the most vital endeavor ever--non-stop adventure, thrills & chills, and lots and lots of heart. Your blogs, especially this ongoing saga for Chloe tells it like it is. Thanks, Dad

tcat said...

Hi Hilary,
Many thanks for doing such a great job keeping us informed of Chloe's progress, and how you and the rest of the family is getting along. It is such a difficult thing for you to be apart, but you are all so good at keeping things in the right perspective.
You are an inspirational family!
XXOO,
Dorian Baker

Hilary said...

thanks! hopefully not too much longer to go.