Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Good-bye, Rex

( picture taken last March)


Spencer's bearded dragon died yesterday. He had been sleeping a lot and not eating, but we figured he was hibernating because he did the same thing last winter. We'd only had him 18 months, and we were hoping he'd live a lot longer. Originally Spencer really wanted a snake and even saved up $80 to buy one (since we wouldn't buy it for him), but when we went to the pet store, we all fell in love with Rex instead. He was friendly, active, cute (or as cute as a lizard can be), and really fun to watch as he hunted for crickets and basked in the light of his heat lamp. I swear, there were times when it really looked like he was smiling, whether he was looking up at the light with his mouth wide open or munching on lettuce. He will be buried in the back corner of our yard, where all our fish have gone to rest. I think we should get another bearded dragon, but Spencer said it would be too hard to lose another one.

3 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

That's so sad! I liked him when I met him! He 'll be missed!

MHodo said...

lessons on mortality come in all sizes.

Emily Smalley said...

we're so sorry about Rex. It's really hard on my kids to lose a pet, and I'm always surprised at how attached I get, too. My kids really enjoyed Rex, too.