Sunday, March 30, 2014

St. Patrick's Day

 We managed to find green shirts for everyone before school - always a major accomplishment! 

Several people on Facebook recently posted an article complaining that holidays are getting out of hand. Basically it said that parents are feeling overwhelmed trying to keep up with all the expectations to make every single holiday amazing. That may be, but I like to do little things to make the holidays fun, especially through food. For dessert I made green cupcakes and topped them with shamrocks I made by cutting up green peeps. I actually came up with this idea myself!

Here's a green peep. I used scissors to cut the top from the bottom. I cut 2-3 heart-shaped petals out of the bottom piece and 1-2 petals or stems from the top. Each peep made about 1 1/2 shamrocks.


I thought they turned out really cute, and the kids loved them. That's basically why I do things like this. 

After a tasty dinner of corned beef, cabbage and Brennan's soda bread (it's actually called that), we got together with my family to celebrate my mom's birthday. She asked me to make a coconut cake - her favorite. I should have taken a picture of a cut slice, because it was beautiful. Four layers of cake, 7-minute frosting and coconut. I mixed unsweetened coconut (found at health food stores) with regular coconut so it wouldn't be too sweet. Next time I'll put a little less sugar in the cake batter, because it was still a bit too sweet for me. I feel that way about most cakes.  Between this and the shamrock cupcakes, it was a yummy holiday.


You got a little something in your hair, Chloe.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Cute cupcakes! Peeps are good for something after all, who knew.