Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Hay ride and such

Last Saturday we found ourselves with a free middle of the day (Dave had a service project early in the morning and I had the women's conference in the evening), so we went down to the barn by the beach to kick off the Halloween season. I know, it's not even October yet, but I feel like I need to do as much as I possibly can before I have my baby.
For the life of me I could not get a picture with all the boys looking at me and smiling. I guess there were just too many cool things to look at.

I love all the funky pumpkins and various autumnal vegetables there. I didn't take a picture of it, but they had the most gigantic zucchini-looking thing that reminded me of the snozzcumber from The BFG.

The major advantage of going early in the season is that it wasn't at all crowded. Last year there were so many people we had to wait a really long time to go on the hay ride. This year we practically had it to ourselves, although it didn't actually take us to a pumpkin patch to pick pumpkins. We rode by them, but we didn't stop. It seemed a little early to buy pumpkins anyway, especially since it was over 100 degrees here all last week.

Here's the entrance to the big hay maze. Good thing we remembered Spencer's allergy meds that morning.
The little hay maze. Another advantage of going early is that this maze is still intact. By the middle of October it's practically flattened from everyone running on top of it.

Then we got treats before we left - ice cream for the 3 big boys and candy for Brennan. The boys asked him for a taste of his candy, but we told them, "No way." First of all their mouths were covered with melted ice cream. And secondly if Brennan can't eat their ice cream then they can't eat his candy. He's gotta have some perks. I love the view behind them. It was such a gorgeous day, and I just might have to go back there one more time before Halloween. But I'll go during the week to avoid the crowds.

No comments: