Sunday, August 23, 2009

End of Summer

Friday was our last official day of summer vacation, so after a doctor's appointment I took the boys to our favorite barn by the beach. Of course they fed the animals
climbed on farming equipment,
reached for grapes,
played in the toy shop, and bought candy crystals.

Then we went out for lunch at Fat Cat's. I don't typically take the kids to restaurants, especially without Dave, but they all did extremely well. We ate outside, and it felt awesome in the shade with a fountain behind us. Spencer ordered calamari (squid), and it was a huge hit - probably every one's favorite thing there.

While waiting for our food I asked Spencer and Tyler to take pictures of me, but I didn't like any of them because they made me look fat. I said, "Why do I look so fat in all these pictures?!" Spencer calmly answered, "Because you're pregnant, mom."

After lunch we walked down to the end of 3rd Pier. There was a huge bunch of pelicans hanging around near the fish-gutting station. I started taking pictures of the boys getting close to them until I realized that this particular pelican was trying to snap at Brennan's head! They were very aggressive. One even hit Dallin's arm with its wing. So we quickly moved on.

We like climbing down below the pier and watching tons of harbor seals and California sea lions swimming around, as well as star fish clinging to all the poles.

Mostly these guys just sleep. But we did get to see a few fights between males, which is always fun.

The sun's in every one's eyes here, so it was hard for them to look at the camera. It was a great way to end the summer. Now time for school to start tomorrow!

No comments: