Thursday, June 25, 2009

Catch-up blog

School is out, and I'm exhausted. As you may have noticed, I haven't blogged in awhile. But Dave and Spencer are at the cub scout overnighter and the other boys are in bed, so I have a moment to catch up. Here's Tyler with his wonderful teacher Mrs. Young. We love Mrs. Young! How can you not love somehow who absolutely adores your children? One of these days I'll add the picture of Spencer and Mrs. Yarbarough. It's on Dave's cell phone, so who knows when I'll figure that one out. I was hoping for a nice quiet summer of sitting with my feet up while the boys played outside in the hose. No such luck. If they start to spend any amount of time together at home, they all start fighting and we have to go somewhere for a change of scenery. We've had a couple of super hot days, but mostly it's been incredibly pleasant, like 80 and breezy. Thank goodness!
Spencer's class went on a field trip to the pioneer museum, and he's been begging me to go back ever since. He loves everything there, from the fossils to the pictures of the hotel that burned down.
I must admit I was not too excited to go - it just didn't sound very interesting to me. But there was more there than I expected, and it was all set up very cute. Most importantly, the kids loved it. Oh, and it was free.
Here's the old one-room school house they had shipped in on a tractor trailer from a tiny town near here. It was so hot in there I thought I was going to die (this was one of our 96 degree days). But somehow the boys didn't seem to notice and didn't want to leave. I practically had to drag them out.
And of course they had to climb on all the rusty old farm equipment. Good thing every one's Tetanus is up to date.
See how much fun they were having? Sometimes I am amazed by how easily amused they are. And of course all the old volunteers there just loved them.
This week my sisters and I went over to my friend Michelle's house to help clean as the movers were finishing up. They are moving to Logan, Utah, because her husband got a job transfer there. Good-bye Hunsakers! We miss you already. There goes half our primary/youth at church.

Spencer has been in cub scout day camp all week, and although I was looking forward to fun day trips with the other boys (somehow 3 is so much easier than 4), Dallin has done nothing but bug everyone, calling his brothers mean names and hitting them for no reason. He's been driving me crazy! And it forces me to cancel plans, because I can't reward rotten behavior. But Kristen and Dave both pointed out that it's probably because he's bored, so today I agreed to take them to the children's museum. He only had to go to time-out once this morning, and he did a decent job with his chores, so I figured he could go after all. I ended up getting a family summer pass, and I'm so glad I did. I've never been that impressed with our little children's museum, especially compared to others I've been to. But the boys were so happy there, and they all played together incredibly well the whole time - that makes it worth it to me.

They spent the most amount of time putting on costumes and performing plays for me. This worked out well because I could just sit there in the comfy seats and watch.

They also liked doing puppet shows. The restaurant and grocery store were also huge hits.

Yes, all my boys are in serious need of haircuts. Here's Brennan after his nap today. The other stinky thing about my life right now (besides Dallin) is that Brennan is growing out of his naps. He either refuses to go to sleep, or else he falls asleep in the car and consequently stays up until after 10:00 at night. We've been known to go to bed when he's still awake. This could explain some of my overwhelming fatigue - no break from kids. I need to figure something out.

2 comments:

Wilder's said...

So excited to hear Spencer had Mrs. Yarborough. I use to babysit for her when I was a teenager and my junior year when I took the ROP Program at PRHS in Education I was matched up with her. They had no clue I already knew her and had been in her class before. I was able to work with her again my Senior Year and then the first year after I graduated from HS I went back over and volunteered in her class after I was done at Cuesta as I loved working with her.

Mandy said...

Oh Hilary, I love your blog. It's so real. It's nice to hear another mom admit that summer vacation is exhausting - George is growing out of naps too. Hope to see you this summer, soon!