Sunday, November 30, 2008

Aren't we clever?!

So every year we get chocolate advent calenders for the kids. You know, the kind where you open a little door each day and get a cute little Christmas item-shaped piece of chocolate? So while I was at Trader Joe's the other day I picked up 3 of them (the chocolate has milk in it, so of course Brennan can't eat it). Later Dave mentioned that Brennan would feel really left out and that we should get him some candy to eat at the same time the kids eat their calendar chocolate. He then had the idea that we could buy another calendar, eat all the chocolate ourselves, then fill the spaces with Brennan's alternate candy. Then I took the idea one step further and decided to melt our dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips and pour it into the molds right in the calendar! So we bought another calendar last night on our date and fixed it all up as soon as we got home. The whole process only took a few minutes. Then I put it in the freezer to harden the chocolate and closed all the doors, so it looks just like the other 3. Why do I get so excited about Brennan eating yummy food just like every one else? There's so much he misses out on that I love it when he can take part in our traditions with us.

1 comment:

Missa said...

Very clever! Have you looked at marzipan for Brennen? Christmas always makes me think of it. It was one of my favorite German treats. I got advent calendars for my kids this year too. I have five kids; I got five calendars. Later I thought, maybe Katrina doesn't need chocolate. I guess we'll see if she does well with it. If not, more chocolate for me. :)