Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Santa talk

I took Spencer to a doctor's appointment this week, and since Brennan was the only other person in the van with us, I decided it was a good time to talk to him about Santa. I was not looking forward to this because it felt like saying goodbye to a piece of his childhood, but I knew it was time. It went really well - he had obviously been thinking about it quite a bit. He amazed me with his deep observations:
.
1. If all men are created in the image of God, how can there be elves?

2. It's not cold everywhere on Earth for Christmas because it's summer south of the equator, so Santa would get too hot in all his fur clothes.

3. There isn't actually any land on the north pole - just water, so how can Santa live there?

4. It isn't good to just eat cookies and milk, so Santa must be really unhealthy.
.
Even though he had come to the conclusion on his own, he still wondered about all those times he heard reindeer on the roof (we never did that, so I'm not sure either) or who ate the reindeer food we put outside (rabbits? who knows), and those were the evidences that kept him believing. He didn't seem to be disappointed, and in fact he's really excited to be a part of the magic this year. As a tradition in my family, the person who learns about Santa gets to be Santa that year and put all the toys out after everyone goes to bed. But still, I'm a little sad to see his Santa years come to an end.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

What a sweet post. What a sweet Spencer. I want to hear more details on what you said. Even though Madeline is only five, I cringe everytime I "perpetuate" the story for her. Thanks for the insight!