Sunday, January 26, 2014

Harmony and Cambria

We wanted to go on one final outing for their last day of Christmas break, so Spencer looked up some geocaches by the coast. First we went to the dinky town of Harmony. I've been wanting to take the kids there for awhile. There was one geocache, and Spencer found it right away. Then we walked around the shops.

Obviously, there's not a lot there. But what they have is fun. I told the kids I'd take them to the pottery store if they promised not to touch anything. 

I LOVE this store. I've been going there ever since my parents moved back to California and I visited them every year. The pottery is so fun and unique, and the store is just rustic and cool.

Of course I knew my boys would love this stuff, and they did! The lady working there was super nice and relaxed, which helped us enjoy it even more.

I wanted to show them the tiny church there, but it was locked. However there was a really fun, super tall swing on a nearby tree, and we all took turns swinging on it. I wish I had a tree that tall. I would swing on it all the time.





I love these pictures! They have such great backgrounds, and everyone looks so happy. I was impressed they weren't blurry, since they were all swinging pretty fast.

There were several fun places for pictures around the chapel - probably for wedding photos. They really got into it.



I thought this was a cute picture, except for the binky. So I took it out and tried to get a picture. Ha! That didn't go over well.

Everyone did so well at the pottery shop that we decided we could handle the glass store too. No one was blowing glass at the time - there was a sign that the equipment was being repaired.  But we saw some beautiful art.

We were all getting hungry by this point, so we headed up to Cambria and ate a picnic lunch at the park right next to the beach. Then we drove over to a hike that had 4 geocaches.

We did this hike years ago, but none of the kids remembered it. It's all wooden planks, overlooking the ocean. We walked a couple of miles round trip and found 2 of the 4 geocaches. 

See all those black rocks sticking out of the water? Those are tide pools, and we climbed down to explore them.




There were a bunch of harbor seals around.




Chloe just played with sand in a little puddle the whole time.

I was so proud of Levi! He's been really scared of the ocean recently, but he did totally fine. 


I loved all the herons.

And of course we all love sea anemone. It was hard to leave, but we still had one more geocache to find and a long hike back. It was a great end to our break.

No comments: