Friday, November 2, 2012

Pumpkins and Ghosts

I need to hurry and finish up the Halloween blogs because I am DONE with Halloween. In fact I just put everything away yesterday. I'm like that about holidays. 


I was in charge of Levi's little toddler class a couple weeks ago. We made pumpkin pizzas, read Halloween books, and made Halloween trail mix. It was a little crazy (ten 2/3 year olds and their moms), but fun.


Last Sunday after church we carved our pumpkins.  We usually do it the night before Halloween because they go rotten so fast, but it's always rushed because they need to get to bed. This was better because they had plenty of time to work on them. 


 
Tyler was extremely thorough about cleaning them out. In fact he finished Spencer and Dallin's pumpkin after he did his because they got tired of it. 

I love how Brennan's face matches his pumpkin's. This is the one he got on his field trip, and it was nice and quick.

Our green pumpkin turned orange. So Spencer painted the cheeks green. He wanted it to look ill.

I helped Tyler with his mouth. Dave roasted pumpkin seeds. Then I made pumpkin pie bars. They were SO good.

We kept the pumpkins in the house until Halloween night to help prevent rottage. Spencer and Dallin were going to have the guts spilling out of the mouth for vomit. We even saved the innerds. But we were too busy getting ready to go trick-or-treating, so it didn't get done. I love the tongue sticking out - Spencer attached it with a skewer. Then Tyler was going to have fog coming out of his, but our fog machine wasn't working. Bummer. They look great anyway.

Tyler recently discovered Pinterest. He made a list of all the projects he wanted to do for Halloween, and we actually made a few of them. Here are our spirit jugs from Family Fun. They each decorated a face with Sharpies, then we cut little holes in the backs and divided up a string of white light inside them. They cast an eerie glow on our front porch.

Here's our tomato cage ghost we made. We ironed a felt face onto a sheet and draped it over a tomato cage with white lights. Then we used big poles for arms. I love our light-up bats too. Okay, I think I'm done. As fun as it is to decorate, it feels good to have things back to normal.

No comments: