Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Halloween Costumes

In case you didn't know, I love Halloween costumes. This is going to be a lengthy blog; it was just too hard to narrow down my favorites. 

First Dallin as a slice of watermelon. He came up with the idea (it's his favorite food), and I had no idea how to do it. But I found one picture I liked online and tried to duplicate it. There were no instructions. Dave brought home a tall box, and I cut it into an elongated half circle. I also cut out holes for his head and arms. Then I attached red and green material to it using a glue gun. I also used a glue gun to stick on black felt seeds and white ribbon rind. 

I was very happy with how it turned out.

And Dallin loves it, so that's what really matters.

Next Brennan. He always talks about being a rock star. Then a month ago we watched a bunch of episodes of The Muppet Show. He said his favorite guest star was Alice Cooper. We figured that would be super easy, since we already had most of the outfit, the wig and the guitar. I just had to buy black jeans and a necklace. Of course the make-up finishes the transformation. Wow, he sure looks like a different person.



I chose to go with something really easy for Levi, since he's apt to not want to wear anything. He's wearing Brennan's old astronaut costume from a couple years ago, and luckily he likes it.

Tyler is a Scottish golfer this year. He got the idea last month when he saw this cool hat/wig. Some friends from church got it from their son when he was serving a mission in Scotland, and the mom uses it as a prop during singing time.

I bought some size 16 shorts on clearance for $3, then I gathered the bottom seams so they'd be puffy.  Argyle socks and a sweater vest finish the costume. Unfortunately there was an incident with the golf club involving Brennan's face, and Dave had to use Dermabond to glue his laceration. We debated between that and stitches, and it seems to be healing fine.




 Dave put his costume together himself. He's a beat-up hockey player.

Note the hockey puck half stuck to his face with blood trickling down. I colored his front tooth with eyeliner.

 I love that red tree behind us. I should take more pictures in front of it.

Spencer's costume was definitely the easiest, and he loves it. It's a ninja morphsuit. We ordered it online, and it came in plenty of time. I suggested the black shorts, since it's skin-tight.

 The material is really cool. He can see through it just fine. He can even drink through it. Crazy! 

My adorable boys!

I spent the most amount of time on Chloe's ladybug costume, but that's mostly because I was figuring it out as I went along. I made the tutu (which is just strips of tulle tied around a circle of elastic - super easy). Then I had a heck of a time trying to find a plain black shirt. I ended up finding one at Target, but it had a ghost on it. So I covered it up with a ladybug applique - something I've always wanted to learn to do, and it was pretty easy too. The headband was made from black tights, floral wire, pom poms and ribbon. She's so stinkin' cute! And she actually keeps it on because she likes to suck on her skirt and shake her antennae. Happy Halloween! 

5 comments:

Missa said...

I think you win the award for cutest and most creative costumes. When you posted the picture of Brennen, we weren't even sure who he was. Alice Cooper--that's hilarious. I think my kids are afraid of that episode. They love the Elton John one. And Chloe is so stinkin' cute.

Barbara said...

Hillary, you have some mad costume making skills! I am really impressed! Please tell the boys that I think they a SUPER creative and always look forward to seeing what they come up with :)

Anonymous said...

Hilary, Brennen is so funny! I especially love his poses in his costume. You all look great. We're not sure what a ninja morph suite is, but it looks cool. Emily

Mrs Abbott said...

I love these costumes! Can't say which is my favorite! So fun!

Jen said...

I love, love, love the costumes, but I also love how the boys work it for the camera.