Monday, July 30, 2012

Scout Camp - by Spencer

I had my first scout camp at Chawanakee a couple weeks ago. On the way there we almost hit a cow on a sharp turn, so that was the beginning of our adventure.  

We stopped at In-n-Out for dinner. They messed up my order, so I basically had 2 buns, a patty, and a whole bunch of ketchup. But at least the milkshakes were killer.

We had a lot of time on our hands. 

Our campsite overlooked Shaver Lake.  I thought this place looked good in the winter, but Shaver in the summertime is breathtaking.



Funniest thing of the week - watching this 18 wheeler get to Chawanakee on a 1-lane dirt road, doing 90 degree turns on the side of a cliff. Scariest thing: watching the septic truck doing the same thing, except I'm at the bottom of the hill, going to rifle-shooting!




This pump is how we got our water all week. It was pretty gross.

We washed our own laundry. The "Chawana-dust" was pretty intense.

The tents were more like rain cover than insulation, and more lean-to than tent.

My head could touch the ceiling.

The beach was awesome. There were ginormous 30' boulders everywhere that we loved to climb and jump off of. 

Some of the boulders were half-submerged, and others completely. Here's Alec, "walking on water."

 Amazing view!

This is what it looked like when I woke up at 6:00 every morning. 

My favorite tree of all time, Jeffrey Pine. Its sap is the main ingredient in high explosives. If one drop of sap is put in a fire, it will singe a 20' radius. I've got a hunch they're the main cause of forest fires.


The great schedule. It showed the time, a map, a list of all the classes, and it told everyone what their class order was.  

A really cool scout-made bridge over a deer-rich meadow.

Guess what some wise guy found in the woods! 

I'm pretty sure it was harmless.

I borrowed my mom's old camera and earned my photography merit badge. Here's a lupine, one of my favorite flowers.

 I loved going out with friends, exploring miles away from camp. The schedule was really free.

All the fences were made by scouts from 1940's - 1960. 

Here's the chapel, where we had church on Sunday. One of the most amazing church experiences ever.

2 comments:

Frances Anderson said...

Beautiful Pictures Spencer, and so well written! Looks like you had a great time. So proud of you all of the time.
Love you,
Grandma

Mrs Abbott said...

What a lucky guy you are to do scout camp there! Superb blog post