Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Temple Day

We went down to Los Angeles last weekend for stake temple day. As usual we rented an apartment and took turns watching the kids. I went to the 6:30 A.M. session. I love waking up early and walking to the temple when it's still dark outside and the temple is all lit up. I'm always amazed how many people are there at that hour. It happened to be a Tongan session, and wow! there are a lot of Tongans in the L.A. area. I had some things I needed to pray about, but mostly I really needed a good spiritual lift. Sundays have been so busy for me with Dave up on the stand that I haven't felt like I've gotten enough from sacrament meeting to get me through the week. As soon as I sat down to pray in the Celestial room, I felt completely enveloped in the spirit and started to cry. It was just what I needed, and I'm so thankful we have a temple we can go to. And I'm glad my kids like to go too so it's a fun trip for the whole family. Afterwards I took the crew to the new visitor's center. It was an incredibly warm, beautiful day. We left around 2:00 and got home in time to watch the second disc of Emma.

2 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

I love the temple! Ours has been closed for two weeks for cleaning and I'm dying to go back!

Jen said...

On Friday we went to our ward temple cleaning assignment. We go to the last session Friday night, then vaccuum and mop and generally clean the temple. Since it's 2 1/2 hours away, that make for a late night. But it's a small temple, not huge like L.A., so the local members can and are expected to take care of it. Our ward is supposed to supply 16 members, but lately we've been falling short, so on Sunday the bishop made plea. It worked--we had 22 people come. I was so proud of us. Whenever there's a call for a specific number of people for a church assignment, I think of Zion's Camp and feel a real need to step up.