Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Preschool

Brennan has been having so much fun at preschool. Two days a week seems just right for him, and it gives me a chance to catch up on shopping and housework.
It was my turn to teach last week, and we had the letter "c." I had more fun doing it than I thought I would. We pass the materials (above) around each week, and we start each day with the pledge of allegience, the days of the week, and the weather. Then we introduce the letter of the week, practice writing it, read books about things that start with the letter, and do related crafts and science and math activities. We eat a snack that goes along with the letter (cantaloupe, carrots, crackers, cheese, and of course cookies), and the kids pack a lunch. They also bring something to share that starts with the letter. We are all using www.letteroftheweek.com, but I also came up with some of it myself.
I didn't take any pictures my first day, when we made cookies (they made the dough, rolled it out, cut out shapes, added sprinkles, baked and ate them - what a hit!), learned about the life cycle of a caterpillar for science and did counting for math. On Thursday one of the girls wasn't there, so I didn't get any pictures of her this time. They drew circles around all the C's and all the pictures that start with C.
Then we mixed colors and painted pictures. They wore big old shirts inside out for smocks.



There are 2 girls and 3 boys in our group. This is Kimber.

This is the other Brennen, whose mom's name happens to be Hilary. Isn't that funny?

We learned about coins for math. For science we read books about clouds, then we made cotton ball cloud pictures. I already have my mind thinking about my next letter, G, the week before Halloween - ghosts, ghouls, gourds, glitter, green, gobs of goo...

1 comment:

Mrs Abbott said...

Love it! I love that you only have to teach once and a while, so you have time to get ready and plan for the next time! I love Eric's picture, too! So cute!