Sunday, May 24, 2009

Fathers and Sons Campout

Why do I love the Fathers and Sons Outing so much? Once a year all the men from church go on an overnight camp out together, leaving the women home to do girly things. For many moms this means watching preteen chick flicks and painting fingernails and shopping with their daughters. And I'm sure they are enjoying themselves. But since I have all boys, I get to enjoy being home alone, shopping alone, and thoroughly enjoying every minute of it. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think it should be a quarterly event. Our family rule is that the boys get to go once they're potty-trained, and since Brennan is successfully out of diapers, he got to go this year. My dad went with them this year and took my nephews Ethan and Jonah, who are visiting from Maryland. Eating S'mores around the campfire is always a big hit. And I'm always happy to hear there were no fire mishaps.
Spencer stayed busy making face paint out of rocks (a little Chumash Indian trick he learned from school), finding abalone shells and breaking rocks to find crystals inside.
It was a cold morning, and apparently Brennan just froze. I'll have to remember to pack warmer jackets next year.
There was an old firetruck there for the boys to climb all over.
They went to a new place this year, and so far we haven't discovered any poison oak rashes or mosquito bites. There weren't even any thistles in their socks, so I'm liking this place.
There were lots of trees there, which is kind of amazing for around here.


After breakfast they broke camp, went on a hike and ate lunch. They couldn't have had better weather; I think it was in the uppper 70's. Imagine if they had it last weekend with our 105 degree Saturday??

2 comments:

Missa said...

I'm looking forward to my first fathers and sons next weekend. I'm not sure it will be a big change for me, but I hope Caleb will love hanging out with just his dad.

Jen said...

I like the pictures of Dad and Ethan--they have the same expression. I can't believe how perfect the condtions sound. No mosquitos?