Monday, May 18, 2009

Birthday, Dentist, New car

I have lots to blog about, but instead I'm sitting here frustrated because apparently I never transferred Spencer's friend b-day party pictures before I deleted them from the camera (the above picture is from his family party last Wednesday). I thought I did, but they are no where to be found. I'm still getting used to my new camera, and the whole transferring process seems rather complicated with multiple steps. So although I did see the party pictures on my computer yesterday, perhaps they were just previews and not actual transfers. Grrrr!

However, I do have a few other pictures I can post. Let's start with last Thursday: Brennan had his first ever dentist appointment. Check out that nervous smile.

He did really well, although he kept thinking he should be done. And he couldn't open his mouth very wide - it is a tiny mouth, after all. But at least he cooperated and didn't cry, so we'll call it a successful visit.
After we left the dentist (Dallin also had a cleaning), we drove another hour away to a car dealership and bought a Suburban! Dave & I have been wanting to go car shopping for awhile now, but we weren't sure exactly what we wanted and were running out of free weekends before our big trip to Utah. So I did some research last week and found one I wanted. It's a 2004, but it only has 40,000 miles on it. It's dark grey and has leather interior, a DVD system and lots of extras that I wouldn't necessarily choose but am more than happy to have. I test drove it and loved it, then I offered $3000 less than the sticker price; the guy countered with $2000 below, which I accepted. Then he offered me "a couple hundred" to trade in the van, and I told him I was hoping to get $1000 for it and would rather just donate it to someone who needed it. I asked him if I could park it there until Dave and I could pick it up later, and he said he'd give me $500 for it, but that was the highest he could go. I mean I know it has problems, but come on. So I said no, and he came back with $1000. I didn't realize I was negotiating with him, but apparently I was. So I agreed and happily left it behind. Dallin and Brennan did extremely well hanging out at the dealership for 3 hours, and I was so happy driving the car home I actually laughed out loud. Dave loves it and is so grateful I did it all on my own so he wouldn't have to deal with it. I'm so thankful we were prompted to wait last year when we came very close to buying something new, which we would have had to finance because we had just spent all our savings on Dave's car. We went through a long hot summer without A/C and dealt with increasing electrical and transmission problems throughout the year, which makes me appreciate this car even more - the working clock and radio, windows that go down and up, and a working keyless entry. Meanwhile, we were able to save up and pay for most of it in cash. Yay!

3 comments:

Missa said...

Yea! New car! How exciting!

Mrs Abbott said...

sweet!!!

Double D said...

I am so excited for you! I am also proud of you for saving the cash. It always make the deal sweeter!! love ya