Friday, May 24, 2013

Spring Birthdays

I think spring is the perfect time to have a birthday, and we've had a few birthdays around here. I turned 37 in April and had everyone over for cupcakes. This is a mini cake I made with leftover batter. That's 10 candles - 3 decades and 7 years, and I still couldn't blow them all out in one puff.
 

I made Oreo cupcakes for Tyler's class. I didn't have any cake mixes, so I made them from scratch. They were pretty tasty, but the kids in his class just went nuts over them. One kid said it was the first time he'd ever had homemade cupcakes, and several said they were the best cupcakes they'd ever eaten.  Tyler told me it was the first time all year that his class had homemade treats. I suspect that baking is becoming a lost art - how sad!

 
Dave and I took Tyler to Magic Mountain to celebrate our birthdays. It was Tyler's first time there, and he was just barely tall enough to go on all the big roller coasters.  We didn't know how he'd like them, since the biggest roller coaster he had been on before this was Space Mountain, but he absolutely loved them! We had so much fun! It was the middle of the week, and the place was practically empty. NO lines. Let me tell you, that is the way to go!


For Spencer's birthday (he turned 13 on May 13, 2013!), he wanted a crazy, lopsided, crooked cake with fondant.
 
 
I didn't exactly know what I was doing, but I made four layers and cut each one in half at an angle. Then I rotated each half so that the fat sides were together and the thin sides were together. It was a little stressful and took me a ridiculous amount of time (cakes always do), but he was really excited about how it turned out.


After dinner (Dave picked up seafood - Spencer got the combo platter and the rest of us had fish and chips), my family came over for cake.


We got him a couple of token gifts to open, since his main present was a new bike, but he was still pretty excited about the duct tape!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love all those cakes! They look fantastic. Now I need cake, too.

Actually, y'all are lucky the school allows homemade treats. I understand around here they've gone to a policy of packaged treats only, because of allergies and what-not.

Troy Smalley said...

Our elementary school doesn't allow us to bring in birthday treats at all, which at first I was bugged about, but now I appreciate that it really simplifies birthdays for me. I usually go have lunch w/ them in the cafeteria on their birthday. Emily