Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Carving our pumpkins

Dave got off work a couple hours early Friday, so we decided to carve pumpkins. This worked out great because there was plenty of good lighting for pictures, and the rest of the weekend was too busy.





Tyler started planning his pumpkin weeks ago. He wanted it to be tall and skinny with a surprised look and pineapple top. How cute is that?



He made a small opening so the pineapple top could fit in there snugly. It worked great, although he didn't have much room for his hand to reach in and clean it out.




Dallin chose the fairytale pumpkin I got at Trader Joe's. I think this is what people use to make pumpkin pie, because it had a super thick wall. He had a heck of a time cutting it out.



Spencer chose a pumpkin with a good stem to be the nose, so he cut a hole out of the bottom to clean it out.





Brennan concentrating hard on drawing his pumpkin's face. He wanted it to be really scary, like a zombie.

It was so hard to get the top off of Dallin's pumpkin that Dave had to use a crow bar. That's one thick pumpkin!

Some of the seeds had even sprouted in there.

It was quite the group effort.

This may be my favorite pumpkin picture ever!



Tyler's so creative - I love the pineapple top! And I love having big kids - he did it completely by himself.





This red pumpkin has a lot of character, and Spencer was the first one done.



Which is good, because then he was able to help Dallin finish carving his.

They looked fabulous! Then we threw them out after the last trick-or-treater left last night because they were starting to get rotten and buggie, after just 3 days. I guess that's the downside to living in a warm climate.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Great pumpkins! I love all the variety! And that pic of Brennan and his pumpkin is priceless. Definitely the best ever.

Just an aside here since you commented about pumpkins for pumpkin pie--I've made pie from pumpkins & you use the little sugar pie pumpkins (not that you couldn't use a different kind like that fairytale one...I'm sure you can use any pumpkin)--it's really pretty easy & I can point you to a great tutorial if you want to try it!

I think Spencer's red pumpkin is a Cinderella pumpkin--I love those & I tried to grow one in my garden over the summer but Zac uprooted it and a couple other varieties I'd planted too, boo-hoo.