Thursday, August 18, 2011

Grampa's funeral

We had a very nice funeral for my grandpa. My brother Ben sang, "Accentuate the Positive" - one of grampa's favorite songs. My dad gave a wonderful eulogy. All the great-grandchildren sang, "I Am a Child of God," and then the Bishop gave a beautiful talk about the plan of salvation. Afterwards the relief society served lunch to the family, and we stayed and visited for hours. Another great thing was that the young women babysat the small children during the funeral. This was very helpful so that I could just sit and listen and cry without having to wrestle with Levi.

Grandpa's 4 children - Michael, Marilyn, Judy and Ron.

Not everyone was able to stay for the internment, which was held 2 days later. The funeral home doesn't like to work weekends. It was the nicest day I've ever seen in Los Osos, which is usually very cold and windy when we put flowers on grandma's grave. But it was sunny and warm.

Since grampa fought in WWII, they had a military honor ceremony for him with three rifle volleys, taps and folding of the flag.











Presentation of the flag to my mom.



We lingered and visited some more, and people pretty much left from there to go back to their various homes.




The flags on the veteran memorial were flown in honor of my grandpa that day.




1 comment:

Mrs Abbott said...

Thanks for posting about this, Hilary! It looks wonderful and wow- what a turn out! We sure will miss Grandpa!!!