Sunday, August 1, 2010

Slinky Party


A couple years ago my boys got little plastic slinkies in their Easter baskets. Dallin loved his so much, it quickly became his favorite toy. Who knew something so simple could bring so much happiness? Whenever he had a share day at school, he wanted to share his slinky. He calls it "Mr. Slinky" and flies it around the house, saving people and fighting bad guys. So when we were trying to come up with a party theme for his birthday last week, we naturally thought of having a slinky party. I searched the internet for ideas, but apparently it's not a common theme, because I couldn't find much. However I did find a slinky cake to copy. I made a bundt cake and cut it in half to make 2 slinkies. Then I just iced them and used a fork to make the lines - how easy is that? Dallin got a couple of new slinkies for this birthday; we put those next to the cakes so people would know what they were.

We played a couple of traditional games, altering them to fit the theme: hot potato (hot slinky), pin the tail on the donkey (pin the slinky tail on the pig), and a pinata - but I couldn't find a slinky one (imagine that), so we just got a generic one.


We had a great turnout, which was good. There were 15 kids, including mine. I was worried about that because we threw it together so last-minute after we got back from vacation; plus people are often out of town in the summer. This was Dallin's first friend party, and he was so excited to see everyone.

Have I mentioned how much Levi loves food?


On Dallin's actual birthday (last Friday), I told him he could make anything he wanted from one of his cookbooks. He chose ice cream sandwhiches from homemake chocolate chip cookies. Then we went swimming while they were chilling. When we came home we ordered pizzas, opened presents and ate our ice cream sandwiches. We got him an Easybake Oven, which I had when I was little and just loved. He has used it several times. Happy 6th birthday, Dallin!

2 comments:

Wilder's said...

How has his easy bake over worked for him? Addison is my little baker and I had had an easy bake oven when I was a kid and Addison asked for one so we got it for him last Christmas. He used it a few times but it never seemed to cook the things in the time frame they said they would and then one day while it was suppose to be cooking something we heard a loud pop and the light went out. I pulled the cake out to discover that the light bulb had exploded inside the oven and there were pieces of light bulb in his little cake. Even though I have wiped the insides of it out really well I am afraid to put in a new bulb and have it happen again. Don't know if it was just a faulty bulb from the very beginning and that is why things never cooked well or not.

Anonymous said...

What a creative idea, never would pulled a Slinky party together that well. So funny!

Sarah:)