Sunday, July 4, 2010

A sweet birthday gift

One of Dave's patients took him up in his plane for his birthday. Spencer & I got to tag along.

It always surprises me how close the beach is.

I have to admit I was a bit nervous when I saw the size of the plane (tiny!), but it was a very smooth ride, and I totally relaxed once we were in the air.

Spencer got to be the copilot. He flies constantly on Google Earth, and his cub scout den leader let him fly in his simulator a few months ago. He was so excited to do this.

He took us up to our town so we could find our house. It looks just like Google Earth.

Then we flew along the coast back to the airport. We were in the air for about an hour.
He took so much time explaining everything to Spencer, even walking him through the preflight check and letting him check the fuel level.
One of our favorite places in the world, from an angle we've never seen before.

Back on the ground. See what I mean about being a tiny plane?!

That was sure fun! He told us he'd take us up again, like in October so we could see migrating whales. Once he saw 60 of them! Now Spencer's not sure if he wants to be a marine biologist or a pilot.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

That sounds really fun. I'd recommend Spencer work towards being a marine biologist with a pilot's license.

Mrs Abbott said...

Wow. I went on a plane like that to the Mojave Deseret and got really sea sick, or air sick. The view of the ocean looks a lot better- and a lot cooler! Happy B-day, Dave!