Thursday, February 18, 2010

Snow!

We had an amazing trip to the snow this week. It's become an annual tradition to go to Shaver Lake for President's Day, since Dave's off work and of course the kids are off school. They look forward to this all year. Tyler and Dallin made the snowman this year. They came prepared to make a beach snowman, complete with sun hat, sunglasses and sand bucket. As well as a carrot nose and black rocks for eyes and mouth, of course.We like to stay in one of the cute rustic cabins at Shaver Lake Village Hotel, which is about 3 hours away. We love it because it's private, cozy and inexpensive; plus it has a huge sledding hill literally right behind it. It works out great because Dave and the boys can spend as much time as they want out in the snow while I come and go, putting the youngest down for naps in the cabin, making hot chocolate, taking pictures, preparing food, etc.


Brennan liked the snow TONS better this year. He went fast down that hill with Dave and loved it. Three seems to be the age when my kids start liking the snow.



He stayed outside a really long time, too. Of course it helped that it really wasn't that cold.



Spencer spent most of the time snowboarding, which he picked up pretty quick.
Dave likes playing in the snow just as much as the boys do. They're such a nice excuse for him to be a kid again.
Then we did something new this year - I talked Dave into taking the boys skiing! I mentioned it to him the night before we left, and he said he thought it would be too hard. He'd have to help the 3 oldest while I would be stuck with the 2 youngest all day. Then I reminded him that they could take lessons, and I assured him I'd be fine hanging out with Brennan and Levi (and taking pictures, of course). So we surprised the boys Tuesday morning and told them our plans. They were SO excited. We went to Sierra Summit, which is just 20 minutes away from the hotel.

I was really impressed with how much focus this place put on learning to ski. Here's the "moving carpet" that the boys first started out on. The lessons were very reasonably priced in a package deal that included ski rentals and lift ticket. I thought their teachers were excellent.

Spencer chose snowboarding. He didn't think he needed lessons, but we signed him up anyways. That way Dave could do some real skiing on his own first.
Tyler and Dallin were SO STINKIN' CUTE in their little skis, and they literally picked it right up. They were laughing and having a great time - unlike when I learned to ski as a teenager. I thought it was so hard, and I really didn't enjoy it. That's why I wanted my kids to learn at a younger age.


After their two-hour lesson, Tyler and Dallin spent the rest of the day on the bunny slope while Spencer went down the intermediate slopes with Dave. Fun was had by all.



The weather was incredibly warm and sunny - we all shed our coats as soon as we got there and Dave skied in a t-shirt. That was nice, because the little boys and I were comfortable just hanging out and watching the big boys. Occasionally we'd go into the heated lounge, where they had comfy couches, TVs and snacks. Brennan really wished he was skiing too, but the lessons didn't start until age 4; maybe next year. But he still had fun playing around in the snow. Levi did extremely well, although I basically just held him the whole time, and my arm was pretty sore the next day. Definitely a successful trip.

1 comment:

Carol said...

What a perfect way to play in the snow! I love that cottage! We have a 1-1/2 hour drive to the mountain here where we usually play so we make day trips out it but that looks way fun staying at the cottage!
And so fun with the skiing too. We'd like to take our boys sometime too (and would you believe I still have NEVER skiied?) Levi's so cute in his little snowsuit.